Thank you for your interest in the Princeton Summer Journalism Program! We are looking forward to reading your application and, if you are selected for the program, getting to know you this summer.
Please find a summary of the program and requirements below.
About the Princeton Summer Journalism Program
Founded in 2001, the mission of the Princeton University Summer Journalism Program is to diversify college and professional newsrooms by encouraging outstanding high school juniors from low-income backgrounds to pursue careers in journalism. Every summer, up to 40 rising seniors from across the country attend a free, intensive 10-day journalism and college preparatory institute hosted on Princeton's campus. After the program ends, program counselors guide students through the college admissions process. All expenses, including students’ travel costs to and from Princeton, are paid for by the program.
Program dates: Fri, July 31 - Mon, Aug 10, 2020
Eligibility: To apply for PSJP, you must:
- Be a junior in high school at the time of application. No exceptions.
- Reside in the United States and intend to attend college here. Students living and attending school abroad, including U.S. citizens, will not be considered under any circumstances .
- Have a minimum unweighted grade point average of 3.5 out of 4.0 (roughly an A- average).
- Have an interest in journalism.
- Meet at least one of the socioeconomic conditions below:
- The combined income of your custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) plus child support payments, if any, must not exceed $60,000.
- You qualify for free or reduced-price lunch in your high school.
- You qualify for a SAT or ACT fee waiver
Cost: All costs to attend the program, including transportation to and from NJ/campus, meals, housing, and supplies are covered by the program.
: Students participate in a range of workshops, lectures, and activities led by professional journalists, Princeton professors, and program alumni. You can find a detailed schedule of last year's events on our website
For additional information about the Princeton Summer Journalism Program, please review our Frequently Asked Questions
. If you cannot find an answer to your question there, please contact us at email@example.com.
Application deadline: The application deadline has been extended to Sunday, March 1, 2020.
On the next page, you will find detailed instructions on the application process. You can also find this information on the PSJP website.