“The problems we face today, violent conflicts, destruction of nature, poverty, hunger and so on, are human-created problems which can be resolved through human effort, understanding and the development of a sense of brotherhood and sisterhood. We need to cultivate a universal responsibility for one another and the planet we share.” ~Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama Fellows, founded in 2010 with the authorization and involvement of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, is reimagining leadership by cultivating and supporting a global movement of next generation leaders applying universal values to solve global challenges. The program is independent, secular and ecumenical.
We guide next generation leaders and working professionals in cultivating practices to deepen mindfulness and self-awareness, cultivate compassion for oneself and others, harness techniques for working across differences, and build solutions with a long-term perspective.
This application is for next generation leaders out of school. If you are a student that is applying to the 2017 Dalai Lama Fellowship, please visit our website for the correct application.
Applicants have the opportunity to apply for one or several components of our Head, Heart and Hands Curriculum as detailed below. Please note that in order to participate in the Preliminary Assembly, applicants must also apply to participate in the Introductory Exercises.
Program Components and Tuition:
(1) *Introductory Exercises: Three months of reflective exercises and bi-weekly coaching
(2) *Preliminary Assembly: Immersive five-day convening with our global Fellows and faculty in Petaluma, CA (August 15-20, 2017)
(3) Year-long Program: Introductory Exercises, Preliminary Assembly + nine months of reflection and practice period through monthly coaching, virtual learning platform, peer network, quarterly expert panels, and other resources + Closing Assembly where you reconvene with your graduating class, share your experiences with new class, and learn advanced skills.
*To become a designated Dalai Lama Fellow, applicants are required to apply to the Year-Long Program. Applicants interested in the Introductory Exercises and/or Preliminary Assembly will not receive designation as a Dalai Lama Fellow.
February 20, 2017: All applications due
April 15-30, 2017: All Participants are selected and notified
May 1-July 31, 2017: Introductory reflective exercises and personalized coaching via Skype
August 15-20, 2017: Week-long Assembly with global community of Fellows and Teachers
September 1, 2017-May 1, 2018: Nine-month learning and engagement through reflections, practices, and personalized coaching
In order to fulfill the minimum requirements, a candidate must demonstrate through the application:
(1) College graduate that is currently working and/or out of school and within 20-35 years of age;
(2) Interest in and commitment to practicing a mindfulness/awareness practice throughout the year; and
(3) How you hope to integrate your learnings into your personal/professional life.
The application for Dalai Lama Fellows consists of three major parts:
Applicant Background and Overview
Short Answer Questions